Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chatting to Umi and Alter the other day, I learnt that there is a Mysterious Mr. Gnome in game - and he moves around! Umi, or Alter (I wasn't sure who I was talking to) have two of these little guys and shared an image of them frolicking in the garden. After seeing that image, I just had to get me one of these guys.

I did some investigating and discovered that the Mysterious Mr.Gnome is nameable which is kinda cool. He is dressed in a very trendy orange hat that has a yellow star shaped flower on it with a brown center. He also sports a long gray beard, blue button down shirt, red pants and shoes of an odd brown-tan colour. Clearly a trend setter this guy.

The Mysterious Mr.Gnome is kickable (lol!), like any good gnome should be. But unlike the regular garden gnome you can purchase, he cannot be cloned with the eyedropper tool. He also has the habit of sneaking around your house. How cool! Unnerving, but then aren't all garden gnomes?

Apparnetly you will never see the gnome sneaking around, instead, he just pops up in all sorts of places that you never put him in. If kicked, he falls in odd positions that you would never expect from a gnome and sometimes ends up with a plaster across the bridge of his nose (har har). When picked up, he is known to float on air, do hand stands and assume other theatrical positions.

Apparently, even if you build walls without a door around him, The Mysterious Mr. Gnome will still pop up anywhere outside. That's a little bit spooky if you ask me...

One cool thing to him though, is if you have a high level sim in the science career, you can perform a scientific experiment on him. LOL! Definately time to get me one of these guys!

I figured Thomas would be the best one to collect one as he's already building an unexplainable collection of butterflies, moths, precious gems and gold bars as recently discovered by his sister Susie the other day. Why not an odd little gnome as well? After a bit more research, I found the best way to find one is in the town Cemetery by exploring the catacombs. Oh joy, I remember the blackened, petrified sims that have emerged from there on previous visits.

Apparently you can also obtain a gnome from within Ore or Gems when you mail them to their respective refiners, through fishing, or as an 'acquisition' from being promoted in the thief career. The gems and ore might be a possibility for Thomas, but I didn't want to wait around that long. None of The Waters Family have fishing, or are yet to join the thief career - I have a funny feeling Thomas may eventually though... So yeah, pretty much the only way was via getting down and dirty with the town ghost folk.

The first time I sent him down at night thinking that it might have a higher change to be found - I dunno, maybe gnomes that move around don't like to be seen so only come out at night?

I didn't find any gnomes, but I did see something interesting. Does this surname look interesting?

Photobucket

I can't quite tell her age, but for memory Tom Shallow is married to a June yeah? So this must be his daughter! I resisted the urge to throw something at her. Feeling a bit protective of poor Emily at the moment lol. Outside of the Shallow run in, nothing was to come from the first trip down.

Since night time can conflict with the 10pm curfew that children have, I decided to start sending Thomas down early in the morning before school. I figured this would be better than in the afternoon as the morning's are quieter, so no visitors should be at the graveyard yet, and everyone at home should be getting ready for work, school and the like and be too distracted to notice him not there.

That said, I don't know how anyone didn't notice this:

Photobucket

Hello - door wide open?! Even if that went unnoticed, I can't believe that anyone could ignore Thomas riding to school 3 mornings in a row looking like this:

Photobucket
Photobucket

I guess there is a 'no question' policy in town or something. Or perhaps that even if there were questions, no one believed him...

Photobucket

It's a shame too, as he's got some pretty interesting tales to tell by the looks of things...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I also had to chuckle at some of the options that popped up for me. It was like reading one of those books where you get to decide the story line.

Photobucket
Photobucket

And all was not lost with his underground adventures, check out this beauty he can add to his collection!! Sweeeet.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Eventually, on this third trip in, Thomas found what he was looking for. Yay!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Now I'll have to wait and see what interesting places this little guy pops up. Personally, he gives me the creeps just a little bit...


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your find!

  1. Yay! I hope Thomas has fun with his new little friend. You know now that I think about it, he would make an excellent henchman. No one would ever suspect a gnome!

    Oh, and Umi and Alter are the names of my simselves, I usually just go by Umi. :)