Wednesday, June 24, 2009

at 3:59 PM Posted by Haydies

Stealing 101 - The What, Where and How!
This post will be edited and updated as I learn or find out new things...

One of my Sims, Nicky, is a thief. It's a very fun avenue to play. The only problem I had was the complete lack of information out there on how to steal and what you can steal. It can cause the first few days to be somewhat frustrating.

So, I decided to take note of everything I discover and compile it into a single location for others to use.

First of all - HOW to steal.
Obviously, your Sim needs to have the Kleptomaniac trait in order to steal. You don't, to a degree, get to dictate what you steal, it's fairly random. But, if you position your Sim beside something you would like to steal, you have a greater chance of taking that item. All you need to do is click on the ground and select Swipe Something.

Note: You can only steal at night time. I believe it's after 6 or 7pm...


WHERE you can steal from...
I play my thief in Sunset Valley, so all the locations will reflect that city...

Community Locations:
  • Graveyard - Graves (god knows why you'd want one)
  • Central Park -
  • The Museum - Art work out the front, lights...
  • The Gym - Treadmills, TV, lights...
  • Swimming Pool - Toilet, shower, seats...
  • Library - Computer, bookshelves, chairs, lights...

What you can steal!
Um, pretty much anything that's not nailed down! There are some items that are worth paying close attention to...

Cars

This can be pretty lucrative if you sell them after you steal them. All you need to do is scour the neighbourhood (either with your sim, or just my looking with the camera) for a car parked outside a house. As in, NOT instead a garage. Once you've found one, position your Sim on the footpath in front of it, and click the ground to swipe it. If you want to make sure you take the car and not something else, put your Sim right near the car.


How to access your stolen loot
Everything you pinch will be places in your Family Inventory. To access that, go into Buy mode and it's the cardboard box at the bottom.

If you wish to place the goods in your house, simply place them like you would any other furniture. If you wish to sell what you've stolen, you can place it first and then flick back to the furniture tab and sell it like you would any other piece, or you can click on the stolen goods and then the furniture tab and sell without placing it down first.

Of course, you can also return anything you've stolen via the mail box.

Tips and Fun Facts
- Your Sim can also swipe things without your interaction. Check your family inventory regularly.

- It's a good idea to recolour anything you've stolen, especially if you've stolen it from a friends house, as it's less likely to be recognised by the original owner.

- You can not steal if someone is watching you, including the ghosts as the graveyard. If the option to swipe something is greyed out, check to see if someone's watching.

- If you want a little realism in your life, steal and sell to use the cash to expand your house and/or buy items you want if you can't steal them. Think of like hocking things off to pawn shops for the money instead...

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorta bummed that kleptos can't steal from other sim's houses, but I suppose that keeps them from stealing from mine too.

    I haven't actually selected the swipe option. I've seen the wish come up to steal something and I'll place it into her promise pool. Eventually it seems to be completed and I'll check the family inventory.

    She stole a bowl once! xD

  1. Hrm, I thought you could steal from others houses. From what I've read it's possible, you just have to be in the house for a bit of time and it has to be night.

    Hrm, I might have to investigate it later on...

  1. Maybe you can. I think I was there during the day (or late afternoon). She works most nights, so I haven't really been at another Sim's house at night, just community lots.

    I had just gone on a whim and headed to the neighbors (she -was- stir crazy) and wanted to steal their patio furniture, but it wouldn't let me. :P

  1. Oh yay, I can confirm that you can! I just stole wall light/candle thingies from a house a few blocks away. I wanted their dining room table though LOL!